High Line Park Hudson Yards: Your Ultimate Urban Oasis Guide
The High Line is a 1.45-mile elevated park and pathway built on the former New York Central Railroad Spur on the west side of Manhattan.
It is a collaborative public space that offers visitors a memorable experience with art installations, performances, and multiple food options.
Also, it is a great place to take a walk or bike ride, enjoy a picnic lunch, or simply relax and enjoy the views.
This park is within walking distance from the Edge observation deck, allowing visitors to enjoy stunning city skyline views from two perspectives.
If you are on a day trip to New York, you can book a tour of the High Line, Hudson Yards, and Edge NYC.
Where is High Line Park
Address: New York, NY 10011, USA
High Line Park is located on the west side of Manhattan in New York City, from Gansevoort Street to West 30th Street, between Washington Street and 11th Avenue.
How long does it take to visit High Line Park?
A visit to the High Line Park in New York can take 15 to 40 minutes, depending on your pace.
If you want to enjoy the scenery and take your time, you can easily spend an hour or more exploring the park.
Here is a suggested itinerary:
- Start at Gansevoort Street and walk north to 34th Street.
This is the most popular section of the High Line, and it offers stunning views of the Hudson River and the Meatpacking District.
- Along the way, be sure to stop and admire the public art installations and the plants and flowers that grow on the High Line.
- If you’re feeling hungry, there are many vendors along the way where you can grab a bite.
- If you’re looking for a place to relax and people-watch, several seating areas are along the High Line.
- When you reach 34th Street, you can turn around and walk back to Gansevoort Street or continue walking north to the Hudson Yards development.
If you’re short on time, you can still enjoy the High Line by taking a quick walk from one end to the other.
Parking near High Line NYC
The New York High Line Park does not offer any on-site parking. The closest and free parking is available at 432 W 23rd St., New York.
Several parking garages in the vicinity offer hourly and daily rates, but they can be pricey, especially in this prime area.
So, opting for nearby street parking is a better idea!
What to expect at High Line Park
High Line Park’s uniqueness lies in its remarkable transformation.
It wasn’t always a lush, green haven. It was an out-of-service 1980s rail track, abandoned and forgotten.
As you explore the park, you’ll notice its linear design, which sets it apart from traditional parks.
It’s a harmonious blend of nature and urban architecture, where you’ll discover various plant and tree species coexisting with the cityscape.
High Line Park Hours
The High Line Park is open to the public every week, from 7 am to 7 pm in winter and until 10 pm in spring.
During the summer months, the park is open until 11 pm.
Best time to visit High Line Park
AThe ideal time to explore High Line Park and truly savor its beauty is in the morning or late evening.
During these times, the park is less crowded, offering a more peaceful and enjoyable experience.
If you prefer weekdays, opt for a weeknight to avoid larger crowds. Consider arriving before noon or after 6 pm on weekends for a more relaxed visit.
Things to do near High Line Park NYC
The easy accessibility of High Line Park makes it the most convenient spot for meet-ups and to start your itinerary.
The City Climb at the Edge NYC is a must-try for those seeking an adventure. You'll climb the NYC in open air to great heights and be rewarded with stunning views.
Hungry? Chelsea Market and its food paradise lie near High Line Park NYC. You can try various delicious foods, from fresh seafood to cheese and even baked treats.
Beyond food, it is a hub for creative entrepreneurs, housing boutiques, galleries, and stores.
Visit the Edge NYC, 20 Hudson Yards, located nearby, which offers stunning views of the city skyline and the Hudson River from its observation deck.
It's a fantastic spot for sightseeing.
The Hudson Yards Vessel is a modern marvel with its unique honeycomb structure. Visitors have the opportunity to climb its spiral staircases and have fun.
Head to the 101st floor at Edge NYC and savor delicious cuisine at Peak. The food is delightful, and you'll be treated to incredible NYC skyline and city views.
Art lovers are in luck. You can explore the Whitney Museum known for its impressive collection of contemporary American art, near High Line Park, NYC.
You can also discover the Himalayas and Indian arts at the Rubin Museum.
Prepare for endless fun at Chelsea Piers, a recreational complex offering various activities like golf, batting cages, rock climbing, and bowling for people of all ages.
Stroll, bike ride, or skate along the beautiful Hudson River Park. You'll find benches, piers, and even the option to go kayaking while enjoying the beautiful views.
Besides the Chelsea Market, you can explore 20 Hudson Yards for shopping and dining. You will find a sprawling mall with your favorite brands and restaurants here.
How to reach High Line Park
High Line Park is conveniently located in Manhattan, New York City, making it easily accessible through various modes of transportation:
1. Subway: Take the A, C, or E subway lines to the 14th Street and 8th Avenue stations. It’s just a short walk to the park’s entrance from there.
2. Bus: Multiple bus lines, including M11 and M23, have stops near High Line Park. Check the bus schedule for the one that best suits your location.
3. Walking: If you’re in the Chelsea or Meatpacking District, you can simply walk to the park’s entrances.
4. Taxi/Ride-Sharing: You can use a taxi or ride-sharing service like Uber or Lyft to drop you off at one of the park’s entrances.
5. Car: If you prefer driving, you can park in one of the nearby parking garages, but be aware that parking in Manhattan can be expensive and limited.
6. Biking: Citi Bike stations are available nearby, allowing you to rent a bike and pedal to the park.
High Park entrances
Access to the High Line Park New York City is possible via any of the access points listed below:
Gansevoort Street and Washington Street (elevator access)
- -14th Street (elevator access)
- 16th Street
- 17th Street
- 20th Street
- 23rd Street (elevator access)
- 26th Street
- 28th Street
- 30th Street Hudson Yards (ramp access)
- 30th Street Southwest (elevator access)
- 30th Street Northwest
- 30th Street Southwest
- 30th Street and 11th Avenue
The High Line Park Rules
Everyone needs to follow specific rules while visiting High Line Park NYC:
- No walking in planting beds, on rail tracks, or climbing railings
- No picking of flowers or plants
- No throwing of objects
- Bicycles, skateboards, skates, and scooters are not allowed
- No amplified sound is permitted
- No solicitation or commercial activity without authorization
- No littering or obstructing entrances/paths
- Alcohol is allowed only in authorized areas
- Filming/photography requiring equipment or exclusive use by permit only
- Events/gatherings of over 20 people require a permit
- No smoking- Dogs are allowed only if they are service dogs
What is High Line famous for?
The High Line is famous for being an elevated park in New York City that was once an old train track.
It’s known for its beautiful gardens, art installations, and stunning city views.
Is the High Line free?
Yes, visiting the High Line New York Park is free for everyone. You can explore its beauty without paying any cost.
Where does High Line Park start and end?
High Line Park starts at Gansevoort Street and goes all the way to West 30th Street, running between Washington Street and 11th Avenue in Manhattan.
What is the cost of visiting the High Line?
Visiting the NYC High Line Park is absolutely free. There’s no admission fee, so you can enjoy its beauty without spending any money.
Is the High Line worth visiting?
Absolutely! High Line Park New York, is definitely worth visiting. It offers a unique and beautiful experience with its gardens, surrounding buildings, and city views.
It’s a must-see attraction while in Hudson Yards, New York City.
Where do I enter the High Line?
You can enter the High Line Park from various access points, including Gansevoort Street, 14th Street, 17th Street, and more.
There are elevators and ramps for easy access
Is the High Line safe at night?
Yes, the High Line Park in Manhattan is generally safe at night. It’s well-lit, and security measures are in place to ensure visitors’ safety.
However, being cautious and aware of your surroundings when visiting any park at night is always a good idea.
Can you eat on the High Line?
Yes, you can enjoy food while visiting the High Line Park. There are various food vendors and places to sit and have a meal or snack while enjoying the park’s beauty.
Are restrooms available at the High Line Park?
Restrooms on the High Line Park in New York are available at Ganesvoort Street, 16th Street, and 30th Street.
Is the High Line Park Wheel Chair accessible?
Yes, the High Line is wheelchair accessible.
Featured Image: 6sqft.com